Everything you need to know.
The ShopStyle Collective team attended Create and Cultivate in Chicago for a day of creativity and inspiration alongside content creators and industry leaders alike. In case you weren’t able to make it, here are our top 5 takeaways from the day (along with some best practices we picked up along the way)!
- Know your worth. “If my value was zero, you would not have come to me.”-Blake Von D, Attorney & Influencer
- Communication with fellow creators is key. “It’s important to make friends in the workplace. Communication between colleagues is a key to success.” -Lauren Gallo, Head of Entertainment Marketing at Snapchat
- Partner strategically. The right partner makes all the difference. “Find the best tools for you and your business, so you aren’t relying on paid collaborations. ShopStyle Collective is constantly innovating ways for people to make more money and use our tools to ladder up.” – Hilary Sloan, Director of Business Development at ShopStyle Collective
- Mentoring matters. “One reason mentorship is essential for young professionals is because success leaves clues. Meaning, as people rise to the top of their respective career chains, they leave behind habits and example behaviors that we can model.” – Create and Cultivate
- Ask yourself the important questions. “Passion – do you love it? Prestige – is it category leading or industry disruptive? Profitability – does the money make sense and match the scope of work?” -Jennifer Lake, Style Charade
When it comes to networking…
- Always have business cards on you, and take picture of the ones you receive in case they get lost in the shuffle!
- Have an “elevator pitch” for your blog or business – always be ready to share.
- Speak from positive experiences (think, a case study about yourself or your business that you’re presenting).
- Ask questions about the person you’re speaking with and get to know them as much as you can in the little time you have.
- Sit by strangers at any break/lunch point or invite people to join your table. Some of the best conversations we had started with a, “Do you mind if I sit here?
When it comes to collaborating…
- Be collaborative, not competitive! We should always put communication first and strive to make each other better.
- Influencers and influencer marketing is not a trend. C&C speakers and attendees all agreed that this space is built to evolve.
- Affiliate marketing is the future; it diversifies your revenue stream and provides the data brands need to invest in your platform.
Want more? Check out our girl Blake Von D’s recap of her time as a mentor and panelist at the event.