One of the biggest challenges for many bloggers is creating original content that is both beautiful and shoppable. To get the inside scoop on how top influencers do it, we went straight to the source and chatted with two ShopStyle Collective influencers, Julia of Gal Meets Glam and Maria of Mia Mia Mine, on how they create content for their blogs and social channels.
Mia Mia Mine‘s Tips:
- My focus has always been fashion so creating great content all comes down to pulling together the perfect outfit. When it comes to finding the perfect outfit, I pull inspiration from a lot of places, but Pinterest is my favorite.
- Once I get inspired to create a look, it’s time to start shopping. I use ShopStyle Collective’s search feature to track down in-stock items and combine them with pieces from my wardrobe that are still available to purchase
- We spend a lot of time finding the right location and the right lighting. We always prefer sunny days and shoot as close to sunset as possible.
- We prefer cityscapes with neutral backgrounds and I love bokeh!
- As we shoot, we’re always talking about what the focus of each shot is. We try to showcase the details that I know my readers will love. The scalloped lace detail on this bodysuit, for example, is a showstopper so we made sure to get it at all the right angles.
- We always try to tell a story through our images. I want my readers to be able to imagine themselves in the outfits that I wear. We’ll often ask ourselves what we want a shoot to convey – mood, location and activity are all things we are aware of in creating an authentic shot that resonates with my readers.
- I’m almost a foot shorter than my husband – who’s my photographer. To get a flattering shot means he’s often shooting from the ground and we use a variety of different camera lenses in each shoot to capture different angles. The 35mm, 24-70mm and 85mm are some of our favorite lenses.
- After we shoot, it’s time to edit. I mainly use Lightroom and then the Snapseed and FaceTune apps – for highlighting details.
Gal Meets Glam‘s Tips:
- Shopstyle Collective has become an incredibly important tool for running our business. We’ve grown accustomed to using Shopstyle tools on a daily basis, including adding favorite items with Linkit so we can copy and paste into text and build Widgets to add to our posts. The Search tool is especially helpful for finding different options, styles and brands I may be looking for.
- Focus on providing a service to your followers. What can you offer them? An escape to a faraway place, a recommendation that no else knows about or advice on how something fits. Whatever it is, keep your sights on what makes you stand out from everyone else.
- Images should tell stories. With every image, ask yourself what your subject is. Then look what’s behind, around and in front of your subject. How does your subject fit into the scene and how can you utilize the scene to tell a better story?
- Always Shoot From Multiple Angles. Whether posting multiple images on your blog or one on IG, you’ll appreciate having different options to choose from.
- Golden light at the beginning or end of the day is beautiful to shoot in. In the middle of the day you can use shade for even light.
- Focus 80% of your shots on what you know will work and 20% on shots you want to test. It’s through experimentation that you’ll discover your own style.
- Since it’s always with you, creates high quality images, and is easy to use, our #1 most recommended camera is the newest iPhone model is. Amazing results can be created with an iPhone and a great editing app like VSCO.
- Focus on details that help shoppers make decisions. Share how it fits, suggest where to wear, show different ways to style, and various price ranges.