We got a chance to sit down and speak with one of our favorite Collective bloggers, Kate Ogata. Read below to find out a little more about more about her life, style, and blog goals.
- Tell us a little about yourself.
My name is Kate Ogata. I live in San Francisco and work as a content editor at a fashion company. I also run a personal style blog called The Fancy Pants Report.
- When did you start blogging and what made you want to start a blog?
This sounds super cliche, but I started my blog as a creative outlet. I wanted a platform to truly call my own where I had full control of the content. I see my blog as a portfolio of my work, much like that of a photographer or graphic designer.
- So many bloggers have set goals to blog full time. How do you feel about this? What are your big-picture blog goals?
I respect full-time bloggers. It’s not easy being your own boss and I can imagine how draining it could be to manage every function of your business. But I also know how fulfilling this can be — to call the shots and be in full control of your destiny. Right now, I’m enjoying the opportunity to gain experience in a corporate setting, especially since what I do at work goes hand in hand with my blog. It’s a bit of a balancing act, but I enjoy the challenge.
In the long run, I’d like to diversify my content; lifestyle, food, and travel. Perhaps in the near future, I’ll have a post about work/blog balance. Stay tuned!
- How do you stay true to yourself while continuing to evolve and be relevant in the blogger community?
Over the years, I’ve learned to not take it so seriously. Yes, it’s a business, but what’s the point if you don’t love what you’re producing? I’ve stopped myself from posting anything I wasn’t one-hundred-percent behind. This has lowered my anxiety and helped me stay true to myself. Without the added stress, my mind is clear to explore — and get excited about — new ways to create.
- How do you balance your blog life, work life, and personal life?
It’s all about being realistic with your expectations. My boyfriend (and photographer!) supports me not only in my career, but he also takes my blog seriously. He’s been around since before my first post and witnessed the growth. That said, we know how to have a good time and when to close our laptops for quality time together.
- Has there been a moment when you felt like you made it?
Ooft. I don’t know if I’ve “made it,” but the first time someone recognized me at a restaurant was unreal.
- How has your style and blog evolved since starting?
You know how Facebook reminds you of memories you posted years ago? It’s kind of like that. Sometimes I think ‘Wow, look how far I’ve come!’ But then I also see posts that make me think, ‘Whoa! What was I wearing?’ My style will always evolve and so will the blog, but through the years I’ve started to develop a stronger sense of who I am.
- What does the next year look like for The Fancy Pants Report? The next five years?
Within the next year, I hope to have a strategy around introducing new types of content. The next five years? I don’t even know what I’m having for dinner tonight! All jokes aside, the social media world is always changing. Adapting to whatever new technology comes my way is essential and I’m looking forward to see how I can put my own spin on things.
- Do you have any fashion or lifestyle bloggers you admire and follow yourself?
I’d totally fangirl over Sincerely Jules. Her style is effortless and she’s one of the O.G. bloggers who has stayed true to herself.
- Any advice for bloggers on networking, or pitching themselves for a project?
Keep the pitch short, impactful, and genuine. If you don’t hear back, don’t get discouraged. I’ve sent a ton of cold emails with no replies. It happens.
- Do you have any tips for bloggers starting out, or bloggers looking to focus on fashion and lifestyle?
It may not seem like a lot of work, but being consistent is key. That’s not to say you need to pump out posts everyday, but be thoughtful of the content you create and don’t quit. It’s a slow, steady race.
- What’s the one thing you constantly try to do during the year as a blogger to better promote your blog/brand?
Whenever I publish a new blog post, I’ll promote it on social. With the ever-changing algorithms on Facebook and Instagram, it’s important to utilize multiple outlets for a better chance of potential readers to see your work.
- As a blogger, you get to wear some great brands — have any favorites?
I wear brands I can rely on. Since I’m constantly linking out to the products I wear, I want my readers to trust the brands I’m promoting. A few of my go-to’s are Madewell, Everlane, ASOS, and H&M.
- What are some of your favorite brands that you’ve collaborated with?
I enjoy working with brands who give me creative freedom. Some of my favorites have been FRYE, Rebecca Minkoff, and Sezane.
- What is one thing most people would be surprised to know about you?
One time I met a reader and she said my voice was deeper than she thought it would be.
- Insta-stories or Snapchat?
Insta-Stories. You can find me at @kateogata.
- What do you love about ShopStyle Collective?
Not only do I love the people who work for ShopStyle, but also the platform is user-friendly, minimal, and constantly improving.
Thanks, Kate! If you want to be featured leave us a comment here and let us know why!