If you haven’t heard the FTC Endorsement Guidelines (Federal Trade Commission) is focusing more on influencers and disclosures for sponsored and affiliate content. Since we want to help you comply with FTC rules, here are best practices to follow when promoting any ShopStyle Collective affiliate content as well as sponsored content. Per our Terms & Conditions, you must adhere to FTC Endorsement Guides and disclose any time you use our tools, as failure to do so may result in termination of your ShopStyle Collective account and you may forfeit your earnings.
Each post using our tools, as well as any paid campaigns, must include a clear disclosure. Below are examples on how to do so. By following these guidelines and disclosing the relationship between ShopStyle, Merchant, and you, a viewer of your posts can decide how much weight to give your endorsement.
Sharing affiliate links? Widgets? Links? Use the examples below as a baseline for how to craft clear messaging.
Types of Disclosures for paid/sponsored campaigns:
- Facebook: #Sponsored, #Promotion, #PaidAd, #ad, #CommissionLink
- Instagram: #Sponsored, #Promotion, #PaidAd, #ad, #CommissionLink ** Please note the disclosure is recommended to be placed before the “more” link to open up and see more hashtags. Please note, when posting to Instagram, even if you utilize the “Paid partnership with [sponsor name]” tool, ShopStyle requires our influencers to also use #sponsored or #ad.
- Blog post: “I get commission for purchases or clicks made through links in this post.”, and Sponsored by [sponsor name]
- Pinterest: #Sponsored, #Promotion, #PaidAd, #ad, #CommissionLink
- Video: Clearly state in the video that it’s sponsored by [sponsor name], that the content in this video has affiliate links you can make money off of when clicked on (if it does), and add in disclosure (#CommissionLink) under description in video.
Types of Disclosures for affiliate links used in blog and social posts:
- Facebook: #ad, #CommissionLink
- Instagram: #ad, #CommissionLink
- Blog post: “I get commission for purchases or clicks made through links in this post.”
- Pinterest: #ad, #CommissionLink
- Video: Clearly state in the video that it’s sponsored by [sponsor name], that the content in this video has affiliate links you can make money off of when clicked on, and add in disclosure (#CommissionLink) under description in video.
Best practices to follow for your disclosures:
- Disclosures must be next to the content to which it relates to; a viewer should not need to scroll to view the disclosure
- Disclosures must be in a font of the same size as the rest of your post
- Disclosures must be obvious, not buried in a long paragraph of unrelated text or hashtags
- Disclosures should be visible every place the post appears, not only be accessible by clicking a hyperlink such as your Bio or About Me page
- Always disclose if a brand sent you product for free. e.g: Jumpsuit ℅ Revolve, etc…
Thanks for being a part of our community! If you have further questions see here for official answers from the FTC. And if this still isn’t making sense please add in your questions below and we’ll answer them.
Examples of how to incorporate these guidelines into your posts/content: